March 24 – 28, 2018
Led by DDM Monastics
check in 4-6 pm
March 28 – 2 pm
The objective of this training class is to meet the great demand for timekeepers as part of the Chan Hall support team for western Dharma Drum Mountain (DDM) retreats. Participation is by invitation only; candidates must be recommended by the director of their local DDM chapter. NOTE: when submitting your application, please include in the comments section the name of the person who recommended you for this class.
The candidate shall meet the following requirements:
- Has excellent qualities, capacities, and a vow to spread Chinese Chan Buddhism.
- Has been trained directly by one of the DDM Dharma heirs.
- Is interested in, and willing to take on the responsibilities of, a Chan Hall timekeeper in a one-day, three-day or seven-day retreat in the DDM tradition.
- Has attended retreats in the DDM tradition (does not include Western Chan Retreats):
- three-day retreats at least three times, or
- at least two seven-day retreats led by Shifu, or Shifu’s DVDs, or one of the current Dharma Heirs.
Content of the Training Program
Learn to use Dharma instruments (wooden fish, chime, bell and incense board).
Learn how to demonstrate and guide retreat participants in eight sitting postures, seven points of posture for seated meditation, entering and exiting stillness, self massage, moving meditation, resting meditation, walking meditation, standing meditation, yoga and prostrations.
Know the attitudes and techniques of maintaining the atmosphere of group practice in the Chan Hall.
Know how to deal with simple issues that may arise out of the body and mind conditions of the participants.
Learn how to set up the Chan Hall before and after retreats.